Happy Earth Day planet lovers!
I know Earth Day isn’t a typical holiday but maybe it should be these days. We honor important people in our holidays like moms and dads and veterans and presidents but maybe it’s time to put more attention to recognizing that our planet deserves a recognized day as well. Earth Day has been an unofficial occasion now for more than thirty years I believe but wouldn’t it be great if we made it an official holiday? And even better, how about if it was a holiday that the United Nations or some such official governance declared it as a world holiday? Wouldn’t that be the coolest thing ever? Other than Christmas and Easter, both religiously based holidays, I don’t think there is any kind of “world” holiday that is recognized. What better holiday to go first then one around saving our planet? Something we all have in common and care about. There are so many plusses to it:
- · It would help draw attention to the many environmental issues we face (including warming issues at both the North and South Poles that are melting the glaciers.)
- · People everywhere could be encouraged to donate their time on that day to volunteering for some kind of environmental cause.
- · Children could be dismissed from school – or even kept in school that day—and the day could be devoted to studying about the environmental issues we face and how to help improve them.
- · It would help put more focus on the reduce, reuse, recycle mantra that needs to be part of our everyday life.
- · And my favorite, it would help promote connection to each other and kindness to our planet and all living things.
Official recognition or not, though, all of us, anywhere in the world, can honor this day by recommitting to simple acts. My favorite is to use less because I have so much control over that one. I waste too much and am mindfully trying to cut back on what I purchase and what I throw out. Both food wise and waste wise.
Pick something for you and your children and let’s all work toward making a difference and showing our beautiful planet some love. Earth Day is a great day to recommit to kindness for our planet.